Monday, May 21, 2012

Thank You Sanctuary


When I decided to write this post today I had planned a totally different subject. But when I woke up to the news that the Syfy network had officially cancelled Sanctuary that all changed.
I will admit I was late to the party somewhat when it came to Sanctuary I started watching the show after both the first two seasons had been released on DVD here in Australia. At the time when I bought season one I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into, but it took all of 15mins for me to realise I had started watching a piece of  genius. I had always been a fan of science fiction style shows but Sanctuary took that to another level in the creativity it showed. It was a show that pushed the boundaries and could keep people guessing at any moment and that was one of the main reasons I loved it so much, you never knew what to expect next.
This show won’t die though; it shall live on for many years to come if nothing else for the legacy it’s created. Helen Magnus is going to go down as one of the best TV characters in history and not only that, Helen is probably one of the strongest female characters to grace TV screens in the last 5 years. It’s sad though, with so much depth and so many layers to the character we will never get to see them all. The acting on this show was incredible, Amanda Tapping stole every scene she was in, Robin Dunne took my emotions from wanting to hug him to wanting to slap him and back again. Ryan Robbins played Henry perfectly; Agam Darshi gave the show an extra dynamic it needed from season 2 onwards. Christopher Heyerdahl of course in his dual role as John/Bigfoot was outstanding and then of course there were Emilie, Jonathon, Robert, Peter & Ian who all played their part over the 4 seasons and without them the show would not have been what it was.
Of course the writing & direction made a huge impact, Damian & Martin and everyone else behind the scenes deserve all the credit for giving this show an air of quality that many shows on TV lack these days. And it makes you wonder how a quality show like this can get kicked to the curb while others live on.
I sometimes wonder what must run through the heads of the executives of Syfy considering this isn’t the first time they have killed one of their top rating shows. Eureka one of my other favourites was cancelled unjustly and even as its draws to a close it is still one of the highest rating shows on their network. I have lost all faith in television networks now; it’s going to be hard for me to get enthusiastic about any new show knowing that there is a strong chance it could get cancelled before we get an ending. Warehouse 13 is one of the last decent shows on Syfy left standing; let’s just hope it doesn’t suffer a similar fate.
But finally I say to everyone involved in Sanctuary thank you for giving me so much joy over the last four seasons. Through all the highs and lows, the smiles, tears & laughter you shall remain in my heart for everything you have done. A show gone but certainly never forgotten, you shall be sorely missed.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for expressing in such heartfelt words, that which many of us needed to say.

    ReplyDelete