Friday, May 18, 2012

Its not the look its "The Voice"

I didn’t expect to write another one of these so quickly but a few things have been bothering me in recent days. Ever since the departure of Carmen hit the internet I have seen the knives come out once again and this time for The Voice itself. I have seen comments from all sorts of people saying that Carmen being forced to leave is wrong, that people with industry experience should also be kicked out or that The Voice should be about undiscovered talent. I am sorry but are you all blind? The point of a show like The Voice is very simple, this show is aimed at people who have industry experience who want to take the next step up in their career and become the household name that they so badly desire. Of course you are going to have those people who are just naturally gifted and have never considered doing anything about it until The Voice comes along.
I felt bad for Carmen when she left, god knows how she is feeling personally, if I had been her and learned that I had to leave id be devastated. She wanted so badly to be considered more than a backup singer and the chance was taken away. Sadly though that is the nature of television, anyone out there can claim it’s wrong and unjust but when you sign a contract you virtually hand over your soul for the period of your stay. In this instance Carmen broke the rules and Channel 9 was well within their rights to force her to go. I do hope Carmen does well, she deserves all the success in the world, and even though her stay was shorter than I think everyone expected, I hope she gets something out of it.
Something else that bothered me today were the negative comments that have been flying around about how every contestant has been repackaged to fit into some corporate box or how this show has now revealed its true identity to be the new version of Idol. People are entitled to their comments but the fact remains that negativity like that only proves how close-minded they are. I personally gave up on Australian Idol 3 seasons before the show was finally taken off air, mainly because I could see the cracks beginning to show. People who should have never made it past the audition stage were making it through to the later stages of the competition simply on the entertainment factor. Those people were being put into cute little boxes by record executives who knew they had marketing gold on their hands. Yet 90% of those contestants have now floated back into obscurity because they had no idea of the industry. But not just that, contestants who clearly had a voice that could sell records were being knocked back because they were not considered “right “or could not fit into that little box.
And a perfect example of this is Team Delta contestant & one of my favourites Danni Da Ros.
When I read in TV Week that Danni had auditioned for Idol back in 2007 I was shocked, mainly because someone with her kind of voice could have won the whole competition without any trouble. And yet she was knocked back because “She Wasn’t Marketable” I actually burst out laughing when I read it because of how stupid that sounded, because if you compare her voice to those who have made it as a finalist on Idol, she would blow the majority away. And this is why The Voice is different, your look is not important; none of these contestants fit into nice neat packages, and if they did this would be the most boring show ever. Individuality & being unique makes a show great and personally that’s why I love this show so much because everyone is very different and it allows them to connect to a much wider audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment